Water water water loo loo loo
I’ve been away from the UW campus for almost 10 months now, and though I’ve had lots of new experiences working and studying in other cities, I’m really glad to be going back home soon.
Yes, home. I think of K-W as my home more so than my parents’ houses. My dad moved to a new apartment while I was working in Toronto, so I now have no family left in Whitby. And I never had much connection to Port Perry, where my mum lives.
I’ve been reminiscing about all the things that have happened while I was away from Waterloo, like:
- The Campus Plaza fire
- The Groupvestor/Mel’s Diner fundraising debacle (man, that one really backfired)
- The Queen’s visit
- Governor General David Johnston
- Municipal elections and the fluoride referendum
- FedS disbanding CASA
- Nikki Best getting misquoted in Maclean’s
- Mark Seasons shaving off his facial hair
- The EV3 Starbucks debate
- The LRT rally
- That incognito guy (what was he doing, anyway?)
- FedS election campaigning
Of course, I was kept up to date via Facebook and Twitter, but it’s just not the same as being there. To be honest, the Université de Lausanne has less community spirit than UW, almost zero student clubs, and after spending five months with its 1970s techno-paradise architecture, I’m ready for a change. Maybe if the University was still in its beautiful original downtown building, I’d have warmer feelings about the institution.
I love my school, I love my city, and I can’t wait to be back where I belong.Sam Nabi